6.30.2006

I was born right the first time...

Dear Friend,

So I’ve been driving a lot lately…well I don’t know about that…maybe I am driving the same amount but it is just so hot right now that it feels like I have been driving more than usual.

I will say though that I love to drive (just not in the summer), I love to take the long way when I am not short for time. Sometimes I will leave an hour before I have to be somewhere just so I can drive. We have this loop in Arizona…101..202..to the 51, and sometimes I just drive in a really big circle around the Valley. I love music…just not in the car. It is always a good time to think…talk out loud…pray…I’m that guy that wears that really stupid looking ear piece (for the phone) so people don’t think that I am doing what I am actually really doing…talking to myself.

I love to watch people while I am driving. I love it when you catch someone picking their nose. That is the best! No…wait…the best is actually when they see that you caught them picking their nose. That is the best!

Are you a honker? I’m really not to much of a honker. Only when I am hungry and a little cranky…then I am a honker. Bobby is a honker…he always tells me he is just helping them out. He makes me laugh! I wish there were two horns in a car. One of the left side of the steering wheel that when honked made a nice sound as to say…hey buddy, the light is green, oh and by the way I like your new hairdo. Or…Hi there buddy, just wanted to let you know that you can’t stop to talk to your friend in the middle of the parking lot, have a good 4th of July. And then I wish there was a horn on the right side of the steering wheel that when honked made a loud noise as to say…hey idiot!! Or what the heck are you doing!! Do you have a brain?? Or a right foot??

I saw something today while I was driving. And I don’t know why it bothered me so much…but it did.

I was driving up to this car right in front of me and I could see from a distance that it had a white bumper sticker on the back of it (that is another thing I love to do in the car…read other peoples bumper stickers) and so as I pasted this car the bumper sticker read…I was born right the first time.

I thought to myself…I was born right the first time?

I didn’t know what to think at first. Normally I laugh at comments like those…like when I see those fish with the little feet on the bottom of them. Or how about the bigger more powerful fish that you see sometimes that is eating the smaller fish with the little feet on the bottom (and the best part about that one is how you can see the little fish still in the mouth of the bigger fish…as to say…HA, I’m better!). That is just funny! But this one made me feel a little different…I felt like this bumper sticker wasn’t trying to show which side the person was on…but rather they were saying… Yeah, I understand what Christianity is about…but I’m good. Thanks though.

There is almost this feeling like they’ve really thought about it…

So I’ve been thinking about what I would say to this person if I had a chance…

What would you say???

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

heart.soul.mind.
kyle diroberts

4 Comments:

Blogger Kyle DiRoberts said...

Thank you so much for your words…and sharing your heart with me.

And by no means did I take your words in a snarky way (which by the way is a cool phrase)! If anything after reading what you said I think I understand now why I feel the way I do…I could empathize (literally) with that person with the bumper sticker…and from the sounds of it so can you. It is just our end results (with regards to spirituality) are different (hence, my relationship with God…and you being agnostic, and that other person was born right the first time).

It is interesting to me though…it seems like you always hear that someone left the Christian religion…or you hear people (much like yourself) who once were an Evangelical Christian…but you hardly ever hear anyone say they no longer wanted a relationship with God. Now granted sometimes tragedies occur which cause people to question God’s love and or logic…so I don’t want to speak in absolutes but the majority of ex-Christians (if you will) leave a religion not a relationship. Which is funny because the reverse to that is why I’m not an ex-Christian…my relationship with God is what saves me from walking away from a religion.

So back to this person with the bumper sticker…I empathized with this person because I feel like something happened to them…what I mean by that is…I feel like they were hurt by the church…or maybe they were hurt by another Christian…or maybe a tragedy occurred…or maybe they were tired of religion…I don’t know. I just wish I could I have said I’m sorry to that person. Not for who God is…but rather for any hurt that the church had brought. Sorry for whatever some Christian said…or did. Just so they knew that what they experience was man-made not God.

Thanks again for taking the time to write…

I noticed that your name says SophiaRN…I don’t know what the RN stands for but the Sophia part I really like! Sophia is my favorite Greek word…it means wisdom! And if I become a father to a daughter someday…that will be her name.

heart.soul.mind.
kyle

11:32 AM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger John Lynch said...

What if being "born again" isn't about being born wrong the first time?

What if after being born with God's plan & glory in us, we lose it in a sort of "dying" when we choose to do what we feel at the expense of others & God? What if the pain most of us feel when we're alone & undistracted is the pain of that death?

And what if God loves us enough to offer us a way out? ...a way to be "born right" again - only with even more life & without the possibility of losing it again?

That'd be cool.

12:11 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Kyle DiRoberts said...

J-

I like your what ifs..

thanks for your words...i know you are busy! I look forward to hearing from you soon!

heart.soul.mind.
kyle

7:44 PM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger A.PETH said...

haha, just to let you know that bumper sticker totally confused me...at first I thought it was talking about re-incarnation or something...but then when someone made a comment about "born again" the little light bulb went on.
(ohhhh I get ittttt)
not the big light blub, but the little light one that is. (and its blinking like crazy)

1:10 AM, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home