4.18.2007

thank you red squiggly lines....

(random)

So I was hanging out with my little brother the other day and he was working on some school stuff, and on his desk there was this HUGE dictionary for kids. Keenan (that’s my brothers name) was telling me that he couldn’t find a word in the dictionary and he was asking for my help.

The first problem with this story is that those of you who know me well know that I can’t spell for the life of me. My argument though is that its genetics…my Dad can’t spell well either (sorry Dad).

So back to Keenan asking me to help him find a word in the kid’s dictionary. Because I am his older brother I figure I would let him struggle through it, so I told him…”keen, just look it up as you would spell it…or just sound it out and you should be able to find it.” Keenan then got all pissed at me and said, “how can I look it up if I don’t know how to spell it!”

--then it hit me-- I had just turned into my elementary school teacher that I used to get so frustrated/mad with!

I used to get so mad when I would ask my teacher what a word meant or how to spell it and she would always tell me to go look it up in the dictionary. I would tell her…“but I don’t know how to spell it…so how am I going to find it in the dictionary??!”

Anyways, do any of you remember that when you were a kid?

Or was it just me…and my Dad…and my brother…???

heart.soul.mind.
kyle diroberts

PS One of the top 10 invention of all time: those red squiggly lines under the misspelled words when you’re typing on a computer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Bjorlin said...

Well bro....I am so with your brother, dad and you...I am all of the red squiggle lines and dictionary.com....you don't have to spell it totally correctly...spelling has always been my downfall...I do continue to get better...if only for the T9 fuction on my phone for text message. I want to know when I can get the red squgglys lines for my cell phone.

1:10 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger Jonas said...

Sorry, can't relate. Im an "English Head"... Which means Im a useless mathematician.

10:52 AM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger John Lynch said...

Itz hard four mee two rilate sinse Ive alwayz ben a natcherally gud speler.

2:23 PM, May 03, 2007  
Blogger Bobby said...

this reminds me of when i'd lose something and ask my mom, "have you seen my Green Lantern #107?"
She'd reply, "well, where did you have it last?" Well, if i knew that i wouldnt be asking you if you'd seen it...right? BTW, ever notice how MS word doesnt recognize Christianese, e.g. discipleship, etc.

9:21 PM, May 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home