12.15.2007

christian radio

I once was teaching at a church and it was right around Christmas, and for whatever reason I told the people that I didn’t like Christmas music. If that wasn’t bad enough to say publicly (I spell checked this word like 5 times because I didn’t want to say pubicly), the only other thing that I could think of to say next was to compare Christmas music to what would be in my opinion K-Love on steroids. It was great. About half the people just sat there looking at me. Others shook their heads (left to right) and smiled at me, and yet I got one laugh all the way in the back, but that was from one of my closest friends. Overall, I think the joke was a hit…kinda. I will never forget my friends’ laugh...it was so loud! So K-Love…For those of you who might not know, K-Love is a Christian radio station. I’m not sure what station it is all over the place, but I do know that it is 105.5 in Phoenix.

K-Love is a radio station that I think that all Christians should listen to at least once in their life. I really think that it is a experience when you listen to it. I always get the feeling that everyone working there has never had a bad day. But luckily they are there to give the people listening verses to help them get through their bad days. I just wish that one day they would at least admit that they have had a bad day in their life, and that it sucked, and that the bible helped them, or some verse in particular helped them. Anyways, that was a bit of a side note. Probably the thing that I dislike the most about K-Love is their pledge drives. They are a commercial free station, and in order to be commercial free they have to raise support from their listeners. I don’t know how often they do these pledge drives, but I feel like every time I turn on that station they are asking for more money. I think that I would rather listen to commercials. I understand that this is their livelihood and so they need to raise support, but they do it in such a way that I feel as though they guilt their listening into giving money. Here is some examples that my friend Jim wrote down during their last pledge drive. These are quotes that were said on air:

“Worship is the most evangelical thing we can do give $32 a month”

“Set up the $32 a month on monthly withdrawal…it will make it easier for you”

“Imagine withdrawing $20 from the ATM and how quickly it goes to waste”

“You have 4 minutes to call in and make your donation, then we are doing our Power Pac giveaway”

“We had ___ people come to Christ last ____”
(Praise God that people made decisions to follow Christ, but they make it sound like it was K-Love that saved them and now God.)

“Help us tell someone about Jesus, call ___ or visit our website to make your donation”
(Caller called to say how much the station helped him) “You all heard how much this station means to him, give because you care.”

“If you’re one of those very special people who cares about others, call now”

Over and over again are quotes just like these. Often you will hear callers call in and talk about how great K-Love is, and then in passing say something about God, or Jesus, or the Bible. I really wonder sometimes who is more important. I mean we know the obvious answer, but it does get cloudy sometimes.

Okay, so I just sounded really critical. Honestly, that wasn’t my intension. If anything my intention was to make us aware of some of the things that are being said on this radio station. At times I laugh, but at other times I get really frustrated, and mad because when Christian radio stations say the things that K-Love says, it often times does more harm then good. Making someone feel bad, or making someone feel as though it is their evangelistic job to give money, or making people believe that K-Love is the main source of all these peoples salvation, so that they give money…I think that is wrong. Don’t you?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Does it bother you the way that K-Love tries to get a Christians money?

heart.soul.mind.
kyle diroberts

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Dude you just wrote pubicly.

7:14 PM, December 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything you just said made totally sense to me... and even though they probably bring a lot of good in some people lives its still hard to believe that the Husband and Wife that do the morning portion seem to never have been in a feud in their entire relationship is bologna.

My mom started listening to K-love after my parents divorce 24-7 and so I was "forced" to listen as well, and even though i will admit it helped on an occasional bad day there was a time when their pledge lasted for at least 3 months!!!

I didn't understand, why so long? And it got to the point when they were talking more about raising money than they were playing music and finally my mom broke down and called and pledge some sort of money, like $10 a month just so she didn't feel so guilty!

That's when I stopped listening to K-love.... we were already in a tough spot with hardly anything, and b/c it was the only source of Christian radio my mom didn't want them to go off the air.... she really felt like she needed them.... by them i mean the music....

I felt angry....not at God, but at them (at the station) this is how you got your money, by guilty my mom into giving away some of our gas or grocery money.

I can't listen to it still, and even if I do hear it, its a song I know b/c they are still playing the same songs they did almost 6 years ago....

Good blog sir, glad your back, and thank you. It's not bad, but I did have a bad experience. Does this mean I'm a bad Christian? :0)

9:06 AM, December 16, 2007  
Blogger Travis Mullen said...

dude, I LOVE Klove, in fact, I'm extremely appalled and offended at your post. ..K Love is cutting edge, creative, and so authentic.....

just kidding...but it is good when you feel like cutting your arms..., or maybe its not....it depends on your personality.....

go Celtics!

6:49 PM, January 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home