12.31.2007

...places to go

I think that everyone has a place that they go to. I think that this place can be in the middle of a crowded area, or in the silence of a room, this place I believe can also exist in a realm that the eye cannot see…a dimension where only the imagination can take you.



I realized just the other day as I was sitting at my desk writing that I have neglected my place. This exposed a cord deep within my soul…a note that released anger and sadness. You see my place is my desk…it is where I am surrounded by my books…my old journals…my watches…and lots of pictures and photographs, that for me, carry deep meaning, and great stories. I guess you could say that a lot of my passions surround me as I sit at my desk. These passions are some of the sources that rejuvenate me, and breath new life in me when I am dry and empty.



One of my favorite things to do is to sit at my desk early in the morning. Sometimes I just sit there...while other times I will write and journal. One constant while I am at my desk is that I tend to listen to Album Leaf and disappear for while…I sometimes imagine my desk as my Wardrobe that leads me to Narnia.



So why the anger and sadness? Well, I noticed while in the middle of my semester at the seminary that I wasn’t spending enough time in my place. Instead I was lost in books that I had to read for class, and papers that I had to write, and please don’t get me wrong…these are good things, necessary things even…but my soul was taking a beating because of it. And it wasn’t the seminaries fault…it was mine. I wasn’t making time for my place. And the sweet irony of it all was that I would sit at my desk for hours working for my classes…sitting in the exact place that had the potential to rejuvenate me, and breath new life in me…but I didn’t think I had time.



[Silence]



So where is your place?...If you are so willing would you describe it to me?...I wish there was a way to post pictures when you comment on someone’s blog because then you could post a photograph along with you description.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

heart.soul.mind.
kyle diroberts

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i don't actually have a particular place where I can sit and get away from the things that are just driving me crazy, and just be alone with God..... I have no time to be alone with Me! :0)

But I have a special time when I didn't realize I had it until I read and re-read your entry....

When I am at work, for some reason I like to vacuum and when I turn it on and I'm sucking up all the dust, dirt and crumb from other people that walk through the gym, the noise becomes my hiding place and for some amazing moment the noise that the vacuum produces makes everything quite for me and I can actually hear myself praying.... Its in my "cleaning" chores that I can Speak genuienly to God.

And its because of that time I'm talking with Him, I want to do a good job.... No matter how much it gets on my nerves that people don't wipe their shoes before walking in, or smearing the door windows with their sweaty hands, I clean it because I know that what I do and how I take care of things on My shift, I want people to know that I care....

But it wouldn't be possible if I didn't use that time for something "more" than just chores. ;0)

11:44 AM, January 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read this awhile ago and have been thinking about it....for me it has been interesting to see that as your life drastically changes so does your spot sometimes. as a new mom, for me my place is upstairs. i can go up there when matt gets home and the dogs cannot follow me, ryland cannot follow me (yet). it is where i can go and find some quiet.

10:41 AM, February 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home